This year I started a small hobby project. Since I saw the first blooming flower – a crocus – on 17 April I have been outside almost each day and looked for new flowers in bloom.
The most photos I made through a cheap magnifier because my macro lens is in Tromsø – out of reach for me here in Sweden. This explains the colour fringes, reflections and other artefacts on many of the photos.
I used the website Pl@ntNet identify for the most flowers for identification. Some classifications were done manually, so there is no guarantee that the names are correct.
- I check only flowers on our property and the marshland between our property and the sea.
- I do not differentiate between wild and domestic flowers.
- I do not wait for the most beautiful blossom. I just make a photo of the first occurrence.
The flowers in April and May
13. May: Dandelion | Löwenzahn | maskros | løvetann – lawn near the house
15. May: Lingonberry | Preiselbeere | lingon | tyttebær – beside the garage
15. May: Marsh marigold | Sumpfdotterblume | kabbleka | bekkeblom – marshland
15. May: Alpine penny-cress | Gebirgs-Hellerkraut | backskärvfrö | ? – lawn
15. May: Mouse-Ear Cress | Acker-Schmalwand | backtrav | vårskrinnebeblom – stone wall
16. May: Viola | Veilchen | viol | fiol – between stones by the house
16. May: Hairy woodrush | Behaarte Hainsimse | Vårfryle | ? – beside the sauna
16. May: Coltsfoot | Huflattich | hästhov/tussilago | hestehov – by the stone wall
19. May: Cowslip | Echte Schlüsselblume | gullviva | marianøkleblom – lawn
21. May: Viola | Veilchen | viol | fiol – different places
23. May: Wood sorrel | Waldsauerklee | harsyra | gjøkesyre – behind the sauna
24. May: Bittercress | Winterkresse | sommargyllen | vinterkarse – lawn
25. May: Elephant’s ears |Bergenie | bergenia | bergblom – flower bed
25. May: European blueberry | Heidelbeere | blåbär | blåbær – behind the sauna
26. May: Red campion | Rote Lichtnelke | rödblära | rød jonsokblom – by the bbq place
27. May: Wild strawberry | Walderdbeere | smultron | markjordbær – by the old tool shed
28. May: Arctic starflower | Siebenstern | skogsstjärna | skogstjerne – between stones by the garage
28. May: Grape hyacinth | Traubenhyazinthe | Pärlhyacint | Perleblom – by the guest house
The last photo is a June preview:
31. May: Globeflower | Trollblume | smörboll | ballblom – lawn
Names are in English, German, Swedish, Norwegian. The name can be the species, family or genus. Especially in English there are many different names.